Funding in Court
Legal aid is available to clients who pass two tests
Is the allegation a sufficiently serious one? This might be in relation to your particular circumstances and not only the obvious seriousness of the charge which you face
Are you financially eligible? Please contact us to discuss this as the threshold differs depending on whether your case is before the Magistrates Court or the Crown Court. You can try using the calculator at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/criminal-legal-aid-means-testing. If you are in receipt of benefits it is almost certain you will qualify for legal aid.
At the Police Station
If you are going to be interviewed by the Police you have the right to free and independent legal advice from the Solicitor of your choice.
If you are not eligible for Legal Aid we offer competitive private rates for representation at court. Wherever possible we will agree a fixed price that will cover the whole costs of the case. This
offence, guilty plea – fixed fee £420 (including VAT).
- 2 hours attendance/preparation:
- considering evidence
- taking your instructions
- providing advice on likely sentence
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court
The fee does not include:
- instruction of any expert witnesses
- taking statements from any witnesses
- advice and assistance in relation to a special reasons hearing
- advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
The key stages of your matter are based on the presumption that you have entered a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing.
- Meet with your solicitor to provide instructions on what happened.
- We will consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice.
- Arranging to take any witness statements if necessary (this will have an additional cost, of £60 per statement (including VAT)).
- We will explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, and the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow-up queries you have.
- We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place, as this depends on the court listing for that day.
- We will attend court on the day and meet with you before going before the court. We anticipate being at court for half a day.
- We will discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal, this will carry an additional cost.